Intermission 3 – Q&A with the author
- Why did you decide to write this story?
- I like reading stories about vengeance, whether it is a story that talks more about melancholy or about a relentless pursuit of it by someone who has been exiled, either way they tend to suit my taste quite a bit… Still, those stories tend to be somewhat heavy and with characters that are constantly stressed by their circumstances.
I wanted to find a story filled with the violence you usually see in these types of stories, but without all the stress and the heavy tone. I wanted a refreshing kind of violence.
But I couldn’t find anything like it, so I wrote it myself.
- What is your novel writing process?
- I make a file with the story’s name in my cellphone’s notepad. Then I write each separate episode in it, then post the episode online.
I do it this way because I like being able to write down my ideas whenever they come to my head, and writing in a computer doesn’t give me this freedom.
- Are there any stories that you have used as reference when writing this?
- Not really! I did take some inspiration from some things I read in the past, but calling it a reference would be a big stretch. Especially because I’m constantly trying to run away from the stress and heavy tone that were a constant in the kind of stories that I inspired myself on.
- Please tell us some of your favorite novels.
- I can list some of the famous ones, I suppose… Lazy Dungeon Master; Ascendance of a Bookworm; Jobless Reincarnation; To Be a Power In The Shadows; The Reincarnated Princess Strikes Down Flags Today as Well; I Was a Sword When I Reincarnated; She Professed Herself The Pupil Of The Wiseman; The Old Knight of a Frontier District, and so on.
- What are some of your favorite novels on the genre of Virtual Reality Games?
- Free Life Fantasy Online, Second Story Online, etc.
- What are the types of stories you dislike?
- I dislike stories where the protagonist is swept up by the flow of events and is forced to reluctantly do something that they don’t really want to.
- In stories with male protagonists, what kinds of female leads do you like? And what kinds do you dislike?
- I like female leads that trust a lot in the main character, that have a strong personality and that can recover herself quickly even if the protagonist is faltering. On the other hand, I dislike female leads that constantly worry about all the problems by themselves and that make important decisions without consulting the main character. The ones that keep blaming themselves after their ideas fail are also annoying.
- What do you think about harems?
- I like reading stories about harems, but I’m not good at writing them. Especially because I end up thinking on the historical harems and all the sad things that happened in places such as the Ottoman Empire back in the 15th century or so.
- What do you think about stories that involve reincarnation in a different world with an especially powerful ability?
- I like the idea of someone being rewarded for doing good deeds before death. It aligns with the Buddhist religion to some extent.
- What are your favorite genres?
- Reincarnation; Action; Fantasy; Horror; Mystery; Romance; Young Adult; Historical; etc. I read a lot of things, so I don’t think I have a particular favorite in all honesty.
- Are you a communist?
- No, but I like studying it.
- What do you think of the Soviet Union?
- That it still exists, but it temporarily has zero remaining members. *sounds of drug usage*
- Are you antisocial?
- You mean like those anime characters that are always looking out the window or reading a book during breaks? That definitely didn’t happen, so I’d say I’m not.
- Were you part of any club?
- I was part of the art club.
- Are you depressed?
- I’ll leave it to your imagination.
- Are you mentally weak?
- I was actually affected harshly by verbal abuse and by nightmares, to the point I just wanted to stay in bed all day. And even excessive happiness can actually trouble me a bit.
When I posted this story, I didn’t have any particular goals with it, so I couldn’t quite believe it when the story reached first place in the rankings. I was so overjoyed that my heart started beating super fast, I started running out of breath, and I also got a bit dizzy.
Overall, I’d say that I might be mentally weak.
- How old are you?
- I will tell you that I was born in the Heisei Era (1989-2019) and that I’m old enough to vote.
- What is your favorite color?
- Dark colors in general.
- What is your favorite food?
- I like McDonald’s Teriyaki Chicken fillet.
- What food do you dislike?
- Please tell us a recipe to make delicious Bamboo Shoots.
2 cups of rice (warm),
120g of bamboo shoots (boiled in water),
1/2 of a fried tofu,
1/4 of a carrot,
100g of minced chicken thigh,
1 tablespoon of salad oil,
- A) 1 tablespoon of soy sauce,
1/2 tablespoon of mirin (sweet wine),
1/2 teaspoon of sugar,
1/2 cup of pre-made soup.
How to prepare:
1) Cut the bamboo shoots into 3-5mm squares.
2) Pour boiling water over the fried tofu to drain its oil. Then, cut it into 3 cm long and 1 cm wide pieces. Also cut the carrots into 2 cm long strips.
3) Heat the oil in a pan over medium fire, fry the minced meat until it becomes lumpy, add (1), (2), and (A) to the mixture. After boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the juice disappears.
4) Put the rice in a bowl, add (3) and mix.
Those are all the questions I could answer, please continue supporting this story.